Thursday, September 1, 2011

Ruth, Boaz & God's Providence

On my way down to Virginia last week, I listened to a series of sermons from my home church on Ruth. As I listened to them I got so pumped and excited about the goodness and sovereignty of God! You can ask just about anyone I saw in the following days that I recommended listening to them, because I was so personally encouraged. Someone once told me that the best sermons are not those you walk away saying, "Wow, what a great preacher" but instead saying "Wow, what a great God." That's the only thing I could think during the 6 hour drive to Blacksburg with my parents sleeping while I drove.

Here's a few specific thoughts of mine:
  • God's providence really is over everything and people historically didn't have as hard a time believing that as many of us do.
  • If I really believe that God is both completely sovereign and completely good, my perspective on life will be drastically different.
  • Naomi tried to get Ruth to go home, but she committed to stay - Often I too don't see the deep need for people to know my God because I think it'd be easier for them where they came from. But by Ruth committing to Naomi and Naomi's God, she got to be a part of history!
  • Boaz was a "worthy" man...I want one of those  :)


I hope you're as encouraged as I am. 


Here's one of my favorite songs right now, which fits in well with this theme:

1 comment:

  1. A really great book about Ruth, Naomi and Boaz is The Gospel of Ruth by Carolyn Custis James. I lent it to my mom but you can borrow it next time you are home. Really Good.

    ReplyDelete